THE MIRACLE OF BIRTH
BIBLE TEXTS READ (JOB 14:1-5) ( GALATIANS 4:4, 5) ( JOHN1:10-13)
The miracle of birth is one of Gods greatest miracles and Gods greatest blessings. Every birth is a reminder that man is the masterpiece of Gods creation. To truly understand and appreciate the miracle of birth we need to understand and appreciate the miracle of life.
1. WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE BIBLICAL ACCOUNT OF MANS CREATION AT THE HANDS OF GOD. We read in the Bible, the Word of God, (Genesis 1:26, 27) God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. So momentous was the occasion that it was preceded by a council of the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They said, Let us make man. The word us indicates a plurality in the Godhead and indicates that Father, Son and Holy Spirit were all involved in the creation of man. Man came into being by the creative act of God. Three times in verse 27 the word created is used. The emphasis is there to say that man is a distinct and independent creation from God. The Hebrew word translated created means to bring into existence out of nothing. Only the infinite God could do this. The high dignity conferred upon man is seen in that man is said to be made in Gods image, after Gods likeness. The word image would remind us that man was to be the visible representative of God in the universe and that he was given, dominion over the fish, over the fowl and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Man, therefore, represented God in His dominion over Gods creation. Likeness would remind us that man was not only made after the deliberate plan and purpose of God but that he was also very definitely patterned after God. Only man, among all Gods creatures, has a God consciousness and is able to commune with and have fellowship with God. Although all of creation, in a sense, reflects God, man is intended to be the highest possible representation of God, surpassed of course, only by the incarnate Son of God. Mans creation was different from the creation of the other creatures. In other instances, God commanded the earth or the water to bring forth, but man was specifically formed by Gods own personal activity. The method God used in the creation of man is explained in, (Genesis 2:7) And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Unlike the animal creation, God chose to breathe the breath of life into man, thus giving him God-consciousness. This is unique among Gods creation. It was Gods own breath which was breathed into man which resulted in life on a spiritual plane. As mentioned previously, God is a trinity which means there are three Persons in the one Godhead. Gods image in man is seen in that man is a tri-unity. God is Father, Son and Spirit, three in one (a trinity). Man is body, soul and spirit, also three in one. The apostle Paul said to the Thessalonians, (1 Thessalonians 5:23) I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Spirit is that part of man that connects him to the spiritual creation and gives him God-consciousness. The soul of man is the seat of his emotions, desires and affections and gives man self-consciousness. The Body is the means by which the spirit and soul have world-consciousness. The body is an integral part of man and although it is susceptible to death it will one day be resurrected.
1. WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT GOD SAYS ABOUT THE CHILD IN THE WOMB. The child in the womb is given life from God. We read in, (Acts 17:25, 29) God giveth to all life, and breath, and all things. We are the offspring of God. We read in, (Job 12:10) In whose hand (Gods hand) is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind. In (Psalm 139:13-16) we are given divine enlightenment regarding Gods activity during the development of the child in the womb. It says the following;
· (Verse 13) The Psalmist says, For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mothers womb. The Hebrew word translated reins means the hidden innermost being of a person. It speaks of the seat of their deepest emotions and feelings, their desires and passions. The Hebrew word for covered means to inner weave, to weave, to knit together. In other words, the Psalmist was saying of God, You did form my inward parts. You did knit me together in my mothers womb. The literal translation is Thou hast woven me in my mothers womb. God has put the childs parts together, as one who weaves cloth or who makes a basket. God as the omnipotent creator has, therefore, divine rights to the person formed in the womb. As Creator, He is the possessor, the owner and the Lord of the person created. We have similar truths stated in, (Job 10:8-12) Thine hands have made me and fashioned me. Thou hast made me as the clay. Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced (woven) me with bones and sinews.
· (Verse 15) The Psalmist says, My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. He is saying, My body was not hid from you (God) when I was being formed in secret. The words curiously wrought means that God has fashioned the child with great skill and care. IN OTHER WORDS, GOD SEES AND KNOWS A PERSON IN THE WOMB EVEN BEFORE THEIR BIRTH.
· (Verse 16) The Psalmist says, Thine eyes did see my substance yet being unperfect: and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned when as yet there was none of them. God sees the person in the womb even before their body is developed, while they are still an undeveloped embryo. In Gods book all the days of a persons life were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.
No wonder the Psalmist says in, (Psalm 139:14) I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. In other words, praise is due to God for all His mighty works both in the Genesis creation and in His fashioning work of the child in the womb. The Psalmist was saying, I am distinguished by fearful things, that is, by things in my creation which are suited to inspire awe. I am distinguished among thy works of creation and this thought fills my soul with reverent and devout feelings. As the psalmist considers his own formation in the womb he cries out, marvelous are thy works and I am convinced that the works of God are wonderful.
A few words should be said about abortion. Abortion is a large dollar volume business in the 700 to 1000 abortion clinics across the USA. Under the current Government operated health care plan being proposed every person will be required to pay a monthly abortion fee to fund abortions. ABORTION IS MANS DESTRUCTION OF GODS CREATION. In the abortion procedure man is striking out against God, taking and destroying the life that God has created. Consider that little child in the womb who at 4 weeks has a heartbeat. It is not just a mass as often described by abortion doctors to their patients. By 6 weeks the brain reveals electrical impulses. By 7 weeks the neuron cells in the brain begin to connect and the child begins to move spontaneously. The child is less than one inch long and tiny fingers, toes and eyes can be seen. By 8 weeks the child is about one and a half inches long and has all their organs. Hands, feet and limbs are clearly shaped. The brain has convoluted folds, like that of an adult. Multiple thousands of nerve cells are beginning to sprout rapidly. By 9 weeks Ultrasound can pick up the childs fingerprints, footprints, and even the creases in the palms. By 10 weeks the child becomes very active, sucking the thumbs, jumping, scratching the head and playing with the umbilical cord. By 11 weeks the child is about three inches long and weighs about one ounce. At this time the child looks and behaves like the complete human being that it is. The heart is beating, the brain is active and all bodily systems are working. The child can suck its thumb, make a fist, hiccup, sleep, and dream, hear, feel, urinate and have tiny bowel movements. ELEVEN WEEKS IS THE AVERAGE AGE OF AN ABORTED CHILD. There have been over 40 million abortions in the United States of America since 1973, this is an astonishing 4000 per day and it is Americas national disgrace and will surely bring the judgment of God.
In this message, as we think about The Miracle of Birth, we want to consider THREE PARTICULAR BIRTHS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE, THE WORD OF GOD. We will consider by way of outline:
1. THE BIRTH OF A SINNER (Job 14:1-5)
2. THE BIRTH OF A SAVIOR (Galatians 4:4-5)
3. THE BIRTH OF A SAINT ((John 1:10-13)
Lets consider first of all;
1 THE BIRTH OF A SINNER (Job 14:1-5)
In (Job 14) we read in;
(Verse 1) MAN THAT IS BORN OF A WOMAN is of few days, and full of trouble.
(Verse 2) He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
(Verse 3) And dost thou open thine eyes upon such a one, and bringest me into judgment with thee?
(Verse 4) Who can bring a clean thing out of unclean? Not one.
(Verse 5) Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months is with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass.
When we speak of The Birth of a Sinner of whom are we speaking? The answer is we are speaking of YOU dear reader. In these verses, in the book of Job, we have a description of each one of us. He talks about THE BIRTH OF LIFE and describes how we came into the world. We were born of a woman. It says in, (Psalms 51:5) Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. As the result of Adams fall into sin, each one of us was born into the world possessing a sinful nature. We read in, (Romans 5:12) Wherefore, as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. It says also in, (Romans 5:19) For as by one mans (Adams) disobedience many were made sinners. The Bible declares the universality of sin. There are no exclusions, there are no exceptions. Regardless of mans background, education, and status in life God says, (Psalm 14:1) There is none that doeth good. (1 Kings 8:46) For there is no man that sinneth not. (Eccl. 7:20) There is not a just man upon the earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not. (Romans 3:23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Dear reader, have YOU taken the sinners place? Have YOU acknowledged before a Holy God that YOU are the sinner that God says you are? The Biblical concept of sin is a wrong relationship with God resulting from an offence against Him. Anything in thought, word, or action, which disturbs mans relationship with God, is sin. Sin in essence is wickedness. It is contrary to the holiness of God. In (Job 14: 4), Job described THE BLEMISH OF LIFE. He said, Who can bring a clean thing out of unclean? Not one. We come into this world unclean in the sight of God. Possessing a sinful nature, acts of sin soon manifest themselves in a persons life. Because of sin, Job speaks about THE BREVITY OF LIFE. He says in (verse 1) Man is of few days (short of days) and full of trouble. (Verse 2) He is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. (Verse 5) God has appointed his bounds that he cannot pass. Job speaks about THE BOUNDS OF LIFE. This agrees with the New Testament in the Bible in, (James 5:14) Ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour (like a mist or a puff of smoke), that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. Mans life is not only brief it is uncertain. You are only a breath away from eternity. God has determined both the time and manner of your exodus from this life. In light of eternity, how short mans life really is and how important it is to be prepared to meet God. Sooner or later you must keep your appointment with death. We read in, (Hebrews 9:27) It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Job also spoke about THE BEHOLDING OF LIFE. He said in, (Verse 3) And dost thou open thine eyes upon such a one, and bringest me into judgment with thee? In other words, God sees all and knows all about your life. We read in, (Job 34:21) His eyes are upon the ways of man and He seeth all his goings. All the details of your life are recorded in Gods books in heaven. Sin is against the very character of God and His holiness. God hates sin and He must punish it and put it out of His sight forever. Gods holiness, righteousness and justice will not permit Him to let sin go unpunished. Notice what God says in His Word, After death is Gods judgment. It says in, (Romans 1:6, 16) God will render to every man according to his deeds. In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Notice what God is telling us here;
· WE HAVE THE TIME OF GODS JUDGEMENT
o He says, In the day. There is a specific day, a specific time when God will bring the sinner into judgment.
o We read in, (Acts 17:30, 31) God...Now commandeth all men everywhere to repent: Because He hath appointed a day, in the which He will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom He hath ordained: whereof He hath given assurance unto all men, in that He hath raised Him from the dead.
o Because God, is not willing that any should perish, judgment is delayed. Because it is delayed, men believe that God will never bring them into judgment but Gods judgment is certain.
· WE HAVE THE JUDGE OF GODS JUDGEMENT
o He says, God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ.
o (Acts 17:31) says that Gods judgment will be by that man whom He hath ordained, the One whom, He hath raised from the dead.
o The judge of the judgment will be none other than Gods beloved Son, The Lord Jesus Christ. It says in, (John 5:22) The Father hath committed all judgment unto the Son.
· WE HAVE THE THOROUGHNESS OF GODS JUDGMENT
o He says, God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ.
o He speaks of the thoroughness of Gods judgment, that the very secrets of men will be known and judged. Nothing will be overlooked, nothing will be forgotten. The Lord Jesus Christ said in, (Matthew 12:36) But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the Day of Judgment. Your every thought, word and deed is recorded in Gods books in heaven. At the judgment of the unsaved at the Great White Throne judgment recorded in (Revelation 20:12) it says, The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
There is good news, however, for mans sinful, helpless, hopeless condition. God has provided a remedy for mans ruined condition. It is found in the person of His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. This leads us to another birth we should consider, the most important birth that ever occurred. This is:
THE BIRTH OF A SAVIOR (Galatians 4:4-5)
We read in these verses, (Galatians 4:4, 5) But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made (born) of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. THIS IS THE CHRISTMAS STORY AND THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS. The Saviors birth changed the world. The Birth of the Savior was the greatest birth ever to occur among mankind. His birth was great for a number of reasons;
· THE BIRTH OF THE SAVIOR WAS GREAT IN ITS UNIQUENESS Each one of us was born of a man and a woman. The Savior was born of a woman without the use of a man. He was virgin born in fulfillment of the scriptures. It says in, (Isaiah 7:14) The Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call His name Immanuel. It says in, (Matthew 1:18, 20, 21, 23) Before they (Mary &Joseph) came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. That which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. Thou shalt call His Name Jesus: for He shall save his people from their sins. They shall call His Name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. By the Name Emmanuel He would be God with us. Emmanuel is the Name of His deity. By the Name Jesus He would be God for us. Jesus is the Name of His humanity.
· THE BIRTH OF THE SAVIOR WAS GREAT IN ITS MYSTERY - It says in, (Isaiah 9:6) Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given. Not only was there a birth but there was a Son given. God gave His Son as it says in, (John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Notice dear reader, It was in love, love for this world and love for YOU that God gave His Son. Have YOU believed in the Son of God? Have YOU received the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? The Son of God became the Son of man. Deity took on humanity. The Son of God stepped out of eternity into time. It says in, (2 Corinthians 8:9) For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich. O the grace of God in providing for us a Savior. It was grace in all its fullness for Him to stoop from the throne above to the manger of Bethlehem. He was rich in His eternal home in heaven. We cannot begin to comprehend the riches of His pre-incarnate power and glory. This vast creation belongs to Him of whom we read in, (Colossians 1:16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth. All things were created by him and for him. But, in His condescending grace, He became poor. For the Son of God to become a man was poverty indeed. (Hebrew 2:14) Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same. We are partakers of flesh and blood. We have no choice. But, He took part of the same in a voluntary manner. When He came into humanity, poverty marked His pathway here. He was born in a stable and cradled in a manager. The poet said, He wandered as a homeless stranger, in this world his hands had made. Listen again, why did He become poor? For YOUR sakes he became poor. It was for YOU dear reader, that He became poor. He became poor that, YOU through His poverty might be rich. This leads us to another reason the Saviors birth was great;
· THE BIRTH OF THE SAVIOR WAS GREAT IN ITS BLESSING TO HUMANITY When the savior was born the angel of the Lord said, (Luke 2:10, 11) I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. Why did He leave His home in heaven? Why did He come into this world? We are told in, (1 Timothy 1:15) Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. He came as a Savior to provide salvation for sinful man. God has decreed a way for man to be reconciled to his Creator and rescued from the dire consequences of sin. The Bible declares that man can do nothing whatsoever to merit Gods favor and obtain His salvation. There is not one verse of Scripture, in context, that says that mans deliverance can be brought about by any effort of his own. On the contrary, God says in His Word, (Isaiah 64:6) We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteous nesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Salvation is only of the Lord and it has been made available because of the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary. Constantly before the Lord in His pathway on earth, was Jerusalem and the death of the cross. He knew He would have to return to heaven by way of the cross. He would have to bare our sins in His own body on the tree (1 Peter 2:24). Even more, He would have to be made sin as we read in, (2 Corinthians 5:21) God made him sin for us, (He) who knew no sin. By bearing our heavy load of sin He would have to suffer in our guilty room and stead. It says in, (1 Peter 3:18) Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God. In those dark hours on Calvarys cross Christ suffered to deal with the separation and alienation caused by sin, and so to bring us to God. He died the Just One for us the unjust ones. He died for YOU dear reader, died in YOUR place bearing the punishment that YOU deserved. How can man escape from the power of sin, avoid the penalty for sin that is death and judgment, and ultimately be free from the presence of sin? The answer can only be found in the Savior of sinners, Gods blessed Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Gods Word says, (John 3:18) He that believeth on him (the Lord Jesus Christ) is not condemned (judged): but he that believeth not is condemned (judged) already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. Dear reader, are YOU saved? Have YOU been born again? Have YOU experienced the new birth?
This brings us to one final birth we want to consider:
THE BIRTH OF A SAINT ((John 1:10-13)
The word saints in the Bible is used of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. We read for example in, (2 Thessalonians 1:10) When He (Christ) shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe. The term, therefore, designates all who have believed in and received the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. The word saint is not applied merely to persons of exceptional holiness or to those who have died which were characterized by exceptional acts of saintliness. We read about the birth of a saint in some verses in the Gospel of John, chapter one. It says in, (John 1:10-13) He (the Lord Jesus Christ) was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. He came unto His own, and His own received Him not. But as many as received Him, to them gave He power (the right or the authority) to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
The Lord Jesus Christ said very directly, (John 3:3, 7) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Ye must be born again. Dear reader, have YOU been born again? Have YOU experienced the new birth? In order to be saved for heaven, you MUST be born again. Notice the three manner of births mentioned in (John 1:13) which will not get you to heaven:
· IT IS NOT BY BEING BORN OF BLOOD. That is, it is not by human descent. Salvation cannot be inherited from your parents. You may have parents who are saved and on the way to heaven but this does not mean YOU are saved and on the way to heaven. Each person must experience the new birth and receive Gods gift of salvation for themselves. Gods grace resulting in divine and eternal life does not descend from parent to child. Being born of blood is birth in the flesh and this is the birth of a sinner as we described above. Scripture says, (John 3:6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh.
· IT IS NOT BY BEING BORN OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH. That is, it is not by human desire. Salvation cannot be earned by self effort. Grace resulting in divine and eternal life from God cannot be obtained by works or self effort. Moral reformation cannot save you there must be spiritual regeneration. Gods Word is very clear, salvation is, (Titus 3:5) NOT by works of righteousness. (Ephesians 2:8, 9) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
· IT IS NOT BY THE WILL OF MAN. That is, it is not by human design. Salvation cannot be given as a gift from one person to another. Grace resulting in divine and eternal life from God cannot be obtained by works, acts, or deeds of others. A man cannot confer grace or regenerate another person. It says in, (Psalm 49:7) None can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him.
The birth of a saint occurs when a person is born of God. Salvation is solely and entirely by the grace of God. When a person is born again they are born from above and this birth is spiritual and it is heavenly in origin. Let me ask you, dear reader, have YOU experienced this life changing event in YOUR life? The world says, Life begins at forty. The Word says life with God begins when a person is born again.
In closing, I urge YOU to take advantage of this present time while you can and receive the LORD Jesus Christ as YOUR own personal Savior. You are traveling the "Highway of Life", passing through time on the way to eternity. There are only two destinations before you. It will either be eternal joy in heaven or eternal sorrow in hell. Now that you have rread this message you have come to a "crossroads" on your life's journey. If you choose the "way of rejection" of the savior you will remain on the "broadway" to eternal destruction, involved in the "pleasures of sin for a season" (Hebrews 11:25). In light of eternity, a sinful life is only for a season. Ahead is an eternity of shame, sorrow, and suffering in that awful place called the "Lake of Fire". If you choose the "way of acceptance" of the Savior, heaven will be your eternal home. The "Father's House" will be your eternal dwelling place. (Acts 16:31) "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". Will YOU believe in Him and by a definite act of faith, receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your own personal Savior? Please give this matter your most serious attention. Your eternal destiny depends on your decision and the choice you make.